Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Piece by Piece, Little by Little

Tomorrow is the big day. Well okay one of them. Day of dreaded work evaluation. Meeting new person day, meeting boss day, social day, maybe work lunch day. Most of this is not bad. And my paper for class, which I freaked out about last night, is further along than I thought.

Would welcome prayers. I know I am a highly sensitive person who is learning not to panic at work. BTW, this book and others may be good to read if you think you are either a highly sensitive person or if you are a parent, if you think you child/ren may be.

Anyway. Lots to do and learn. Ironically, about the book, highly sensitive person ... I never did finish reading it. I still recommend it, but of course was reading it a few years back when I was overwhelmed and had to stop taking in new information. Oh the ironies of life. I should finish the book, as the purpose of it is not to merely affirm or define what a highly sensitive person is but to show the HSP how to thrive while still being themselves.

Here are things that are helping me cope this week (not in any order really):

1. trying to not panic - for me this involves a lot of self-talk that is not negative, a lot of encouragement, and trying to keep things in perspective. This is hard and I am working on it.

2. I made one of my best vegetable soups this week - potatoes, carrots, zucchini, green beans, basil, garlic, onion, tomatoes, oil, Parmesan cheese. I add tortilla chips when I am eating it - adds crunch and it needed a bit more salt...

3. I have yummy organic white cheddar cheese and crackers. And boiled eggs and grapes. Good work snacks. Thanks again to those who gave suggestions on this!

4. My Mother is praying for me. Others are praying, including some beloved church friends and my loved blog friends. (Thank you.)

5. Special prayers in icon corner.

6. I have meds to help me sleep now - my insomnia is slowly getting better!...after a very long time. Walking up at 6 AM instead of 2 or 4 AM makes a huge difference. My sleep is still variable, but at least I can say it is improving.

7. Being thankful and remembering that I have a lot of blessings in my life.

I admit to being worried that I am getting sick again - so I am also trying to take it as easy as possible in the midst of a more intense work week.

12 comments:

E Helena E said...

That does sound like one intense week, but with lots of good "self-care" going on and the soup sounds delicious. Please be assured of my prayers for tomorrow also!

Funnily enough, the HSP book is presently untouched on my bedside table. I also want to attempt to read it, but every time I try (over the last two years), I can't face it :-)

Kassianni said...

oi vey.
yes, you are in our (and my) prayers!

Asheya said...

Sounds like you have some good coping strategies! Wish I could taste your soup, it sounds yummy.

elizabeth said...

thank you for prayers; they are needed!

thank God also that I can go to church tonight...

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

What a busy and likely very stressful week !
Praying for you :-)

DebD said...

I hope you didn't get sick! I spend a lot of time telling myself I'm not sick, only to, finally out of exhaustion, have to admit I am (which I am right now too, btw). I hope your work day goes well today.

Mimi said...

I'm so glad you are taking care of yourself, and prayers, my dear!

Meadowlark Days said...

How did the day go?

I've also been meaning to read that book...

elizabeth said...

thank you all for your prayers and kindness. i am in continued need of the prayers. again, my thanks

Just Mairs said...

Thanks for the HSP link - I see a lot of myself in the self-test....interesting...take care of yourself!

elizabeth said...

M - thank you for your comment! yes, it is a good book... helpful i think...

Peacocks and Sunflowers said...

commenting much later! I'd read your mention of the book by Elaine Aron and it kind of stuck in the back of my mind all this time. I've now started it, but will have to take it in small chunks. I was thinking this toward the end of ch.1, turned the page and the author said the same! Already useful :)