Saturday, June 26, 2021

Saturday: the mundane and the profound


A pretty bowl for breakfast.  We had pizza for lunch.  Ice cream and
strawberries...
Then to evening vespers... 





I found myself thinking about the world, and the multiplicity of views
and this world, with so many religions, ideas and such.
But also about some ideas that I discovered Madeleine L'Engle 
and Elder Sophrony (who wrote the books on St Silouan)
about hell and heaven and 
two different ways of it and one, Madeleine's, at least in the middle of her life,
was the idea she said of some thought that heaven could include being able to see 
people in hell and she could not imagine that as heaven 
and then St Sophrony saying that St Silouan saying that love cannot 
bear the idea of those in hell but yet believing that people can/are there
and suffering and praying for those there.  And it is suggested that God has pain about it.
The same thing but different conclusion.
I know this is perhaps not my normal discussion here but well, I do often write
what is on my mind and so here I am, writing about it.
And I thought about this as I was in church and the idea of some
refusing God and how could that be and yet,
I saw the Lord on His Cross in the front side of Church.
It was like I realized that life is cluttered, and that seeing Christ on the Cross
may be missed but yet He is THERE.
***
(even in the two pictures above, you can miss seeing Him there, 
on the Cross, because the view I looked towards Christ made it
visually cluttered and you do not immediately notice the Cross....)
***
It was like I realized for a minute anyway, that somehow the Cross
with Christ on it, is really the centre of everything, the centre of history,
that He came and died for us
and that His death tell us His love
and His Resurrection tells us our Hope
and that Christ, seen here, is the answer.
There He is.  Silent. Still. So Still.  On the Cross, 
poured out for all the world.
And while I don't have an answer to the questions the L'Engle and Elder Sophrony
are raising, as they are nuanced and I don't have the wisdom to answer them,
but I can say that I saw that Christ came and that the Cross,
the suffering, the offering of Christ 
is the answer to the question, to everything, in the end.
***
I saw it but I can only pray that I can remember it,
have this more deeply in my own heart,
my own fickle struggling heart.


I also thought of how good it is to be in church
and that while right now in NJ things are pretty good with the 
pandemic numbers and such but that one does not know
if it will get worse again and I was just glad to be there.....





We had lamb, rice, veggies, bread and 
again ice cream with strawberries for dessert
(good thing I got a walk in this morning with Mr Husband!)
It's the last of our fast-free week and the beginning, on Monday,
of the Apostle's fast.... so extra treats today!
***
I showed my priest the picture of Fr I who died in Ottawa
and he said, well, he is with God now and that he would pray for him.
That is a real comfort.
***
So, life is this mixture of loss, of questions, of even, at times,
profundity, and also, for me, now, the blessing of wonderful food
and life in all it's ups and downs with my Husband
who I am so thankful for and that I have life with,
and that over all, we have Christ to save us.
***
May God bless and save you dear readers!
Lord have mercy on us!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Dear Elizabeth: Here in West Virginia, in my own orthodox Divine Liturgy this morning, I was staring at Christ on the Cross, too. I've just returned from a family trip in the deep south and it was a mixture of delight and sorrow. The delight comes from His work on the cross. The sorrows, in a way, from the same. We share in those sufferings. We are transfigured by its triumph over death, even all the day after day little deaths we may each struggle to survive. We survive by its glory. Walking into my sanctuary, as in looking at the beautiful pictures here of yours, I said to my priest, "it's a sanctuary inside a sanctuary, inside a sanctuary". Deep levels of peace and being put back together always meet me inside its doors. Its where I go to get a glimpse of the real me as intended. Sometimes, I wish I never had to leave. So, glory to God Elizabeth, for all things. Especially, summer swims, ice cream and strawberries, eh? God bless you and Mr. husband.