Thursday, June 03, 2021

NYC was wonderful...

Good evening! or Morning! whenever you are reading this! Pictures to come but for now, here's a little snippet I wrote up about today...

I am so happy that I got to go to NYC. Just being out, seeing lots of people out and about (and in the library) was so nice. I had a hamburger for lunch and an early dinner of curry with beef. My cab driver (my Husband is being cautious so I took the PATH train (the one between NJ and NYC) in and then a cab when in NYC instead of a subway) on the way back to the PATH station was African and he was thin and his face had lines by his eyes that showed his age and also his suffering. I asked him how long he had been in NYC and I learned just 3 years, Feb 2019 he came, so he was here just a year before the pandemic. He had no idea it would be so hard, being in NYC and that everything costs so much and work not as easy to get as he thought. He had family in NYC now and back in Africa. He was surprised that I knew he spoke French; I could tell. Sadly I don't speak French but I was able to say that I know he is richer than me knowing more that one language and that one of the ways the US is quite behind is in the lack of language training we have. I always love talking to cab drivers. They are often men from other countries and have such interesting stories. I don't know that I have met one who was so honest about not liking NYC but feeling that he could not leave. As I was leaving, with raincoat on as it was raining, I waved and said, God bless you and he received it as the blessing it was meant to be and for that moment, I knew he was happy.

7 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I like that you blessed him and he appreciated it too!!

Gloria said...

What a beautiful story to share. May God truly bless that man with opportunities to grow in grace and that he would be treated with dignity and respect.

Martha said...

An interaction like that lifts both of you!

Gretchen Joanna said...

Very good story! Glory to God!

karen said...

So nice you were in NYC! I miss that city. We also talk to cab drivers there and love to hear their stories of how they came to NYC.

Lisa Richards said...

Glad you are out and about! I loved the story of the cab driver. I pray that he will find opportunity to live somewhere that he loves. He arrived at such a hard time. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

It seems like things are coming back to some normalcy. It's nice to see faces here and there, and just get out.