Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Wednesday: Praise God for Presanctified Liturgy (and how is Lent nearly done?)


Hello dear friends.  Boy it was good to hear from some of you! Sorry I've been gone in a way for a bit.  My new writing project really has me going.  So question, a random one at that.  1700s.  I read today that Jonathan Edwards read Matthew Henry's (then fairly new) Commentary.  If you know what I am talking about, you may be able to answer my question (I've asked my Husband, no-go, waiting to hear back from a cousin but meanwhile...) 

My question is WHAT do you call Matthew Henry's Commentary style? or how do you describe how he view/saw/interpreted Scripture.  He clearly (as Edwards also did) uses Scripture in very different ways than what we would call a close read of the text.  Deuteronomy 32 is the Song of Moses and verses 26-35, if you did a close read, are about the enemies of the Israelites.  Henry uses these verses to affirm that they are the enemies, but also the Israelites and the next thing you know, he's jumped to 1st Peter in the New Testament and how Deut. 32 is the beginning of what continues into the New Testament.  So a careful reading of the text to see what the actual chapter says is not what Matthew Henry is doing overall.  I have to think that there is a name for the type of Biblical reading/ interpretation/ commentary that he is doing... do any of you know?  Meanwhile, I call my Mom telling her that I was thinking about Dad who has a printed copy of Henry's Commentaries at home only to be told that that was HER book.  They met at a Bible College :).  

So I was in the 1700s today.  It was fun.  My Husband was quick to point out that it was a dangerous time history speaking.  

Meanwhile, I am thinking of the brevity of life.  This big writing project.  I really hope it works out.  Will I be able to finish it? I have a long way to go.  It's getting clearer (where I am going) but a lot of work to get it done.  I know, ultimately, that if I do finish it, it is because of God's mercy and upholding. 

Lent, how is next week the last presanctified liturgy?  

Well.  It's late.  Actually midnight again. 

Keeping it simple.  Sorry I don't have time to write more.

God keep you dear ones.  He is with us.  

2 comments:

Pilgrim said...

Many years ago I worked in a Christian bookstore. We were trained to describe Matthew Henry’s commentary as devotional. I can’t remember the other categories. I don’t think it was seen as strictly exegetical.

Gretchen Joanna said...

I just know that it was highly regarded in our family... I gave ours away to one of my children. I used to read it myself; I think devotional is a good descriptor from what I remember.