Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Signs of an Early Spring in Ottawa

It is a beautiful day here in Ottawa.
So I finally took that walk with my camera.
Thought I would introduce my readers
to some typical sights of city living in Canada.

First sight, the mail box.

Notice the French on it?
Push - Poussez
There are various mail boxes like these around
the downtown
where I live...
But it still takes me a few days with a letter in my purse
to remember to mail it!
Sometimes I miss having a house with the mailbox along side!

I love this tree!

Such great expressive shapes and a surprisingly short

trunk and long branches...



Flowers sprouting! Green! Spring!?!
Some people say we will get more snow,
but I am with the one who say we will just get rain.
It has been a very unusual winter for Ottawa.
We only got one good snow fall all winter...

***

As usual I appreciate all the comments you all leave for me!
That you care really encourages me - thank you.

***

It was kind of strange to take a walk down the paths
that I walked down for the first time last summer.

Last summer was such a another unusual one for me -
trying to figure out what to do next,
recovering from the most difficult and complex
job situation I have yet to be in;
taking the class in 17th Century Lit
(still miss this in many ways).

***

It is still not easy to be in a state
where I am learning French
(Je suis appredre Français pour futur travail)
but have no idea what my next job will be.

***
I suppose that this is merely further lessons from
our Very Good Lord
on learning to live in the present.

***

(1st maxim)
be always with Christ

(maxim 34):

Be awake, and be attentive.

Be fully present where you are—wakefulness, watchfulness, attentiveness.

***

May the Lord help us to watch.

Wake, O My Soul,

Why are you sleeping?

The Bridegroom comes at midnight...

6 comments:

Meadowlark Days said...

It is always fun to watch spring sneak in little by little...love the red post box!

GretchenJoanna said...

Oh, thank you so much for linking to that list by Fr Tom...I have read it in the past, I have it in my files somewhere, but I'm sure I wouldn't have dug it out this Lent, and it is encouraging.

elizabeth said...

Hi M.D. - it is fun! glad you like the red post box! I do too! :)

Your so very welcome G.J. It is a really encouraging one, isen't it?!

RW said...

looks like a brilliant day in Ottawa...
we had grey and rain and a big storm is brewing.. hopefully we do not lose power.

Mimi said...

We had the same Winter, sigh.
And, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who walks around with things in her purse to mail.

Michelle M. said...

Thank you for sharing that quote. Sometimes it is so hard to be fully present where you are. A lot of the time I am very sleep-deprived and I have a hard time focusing. Thank you for sharing this!