Monday, September 22, 2008

Acedia & Me: A Marriage, Monks, and a Writer's Life by Kathleen Norris

Kathleen Norris just published a new book - Acedia & Me: A Marriage, Monks, and a Writer's Life - published in 2008 by Riverhead books.

A dear undergrad friend, ten years ago, wrote me letters when I worked at camp. Every letter included something about Norris' Cloister Walk. I remember reading my friend's copy later that year; I remember reading Norris' Amazing Grace: A Vocabulary of Faith in a hotel in Missouri when the second leg of my flight home was cancelled. Her books changed my life and, without my knowledge, prepared me for the Orthodox church.

Wow. I just found out her latest book, Acedia & Me: A Marriage, Monks, and a Writer's Life was published. I began reading it tonight. I can honestly say if I take this book seriously, as I pray I will, my life is going to continue changing. But with time, a lot of time and struggle. It is examining parts of life that I had never considered the ramifications before. It is exciting but I know also that it will take a lot of pondering, deliberation and choices on how I live.

Needless to say, I strongly recommend this book... and I am only on page 18 (well, okay I cheated and looked ahead a bit too...). Thank God for writers such as she.

6 comments:

Meadowlark Days said...

I've been meaning to get this book.

I also loved her other books (I'm originally from SoDakota) and felt the The Cloister Walk helped prepare me to accept Orthodoxy once we started exploring the ancient church.

Hmm - maybe I'll order my copy today and we can exchange notes in the weeks ahead? What do you think?

Kristina
ponderosa88@hotmail.com

elizabeth said...

sounds lovely - fyi - i have lots going on right now - so if i am slow in reading it etc - you will know why...

however YES, get the book and YES i would love to exchange notes.

Norris' books are wonderful... i was not exploring the ancient church at all but she well, opened it to me without letting me know...

i am very thankful!

I am going to email you a quick email now...

Kassianni said...

thanks for this tip, elizabeth!
I will look for this at the library.

elizabeth said...

your welcome! let me know, Victoria, if you read it and what you think... I have not yet read more but hope to this weekend...

RW said...

I am quite keen to read this too.

Thanks for the mention.

elizabeth said...

RW - your welcome!