Friday, February 11, 2022

what I wrote yesterday


[Picture of looking at the blue sunlit sky when walking on the stairs from the subway underground. The following was written earlier this week.] 

There is a lot of talk of mask restrictions lifting soon in the news.  On all the trains I took to my library, mask wearing was almost 100%.  It's funny how you see so many types of people on public transit.  I saw a very beautiful lady, shorter than me (I was surprised as I first noticed her above me on the stairs because she had pretty cream patterned tights which I could not help but see as I was right below her and the only place to look really is straight ahead when on narrow stairs).  Clearly expensively dyed blond with some brown highlights, beautiful plaid pleated skirt, perfectly matching cream jacket, mask, makeup.  There was a man in black sweatpants, mostly clean, he looked worn and tired; I wondered about him and understood that he was probably in his 40s.  When we opened the door of an elevator, a man was waiting there with a huge shopping cart of bags, many plastic target bags.  Probably all he owns.  What is his story?  I saw another man, maybe 5 foot 7, well dressed, some sort of suit jacket and pants, of the latest fashion, nice haircut yet his face was noticeably worried.  I had a great lunch, the staff were so busy, the woman especially was working so fast as if so much was happening at once.  I felt that my thanks for the meal was really barely heard as she rushed away. 


It is sunny here in NYC today.  I am typing in a quiet beautiful room, wearing the still required masks.  It is strangely warm for February but snow is forecasted for the weekend.  Anne Tyler has a new book coming out! Called "French Braid", I got on the waiting list. 

Life is so fascinating, people all so different with their own story playing out.  A shining simple moment of happiness in my day today: breakfasting with my Husband, having tea and toast. Just being happy together at the table.  It was so simple but yet everything I could have wished for.  I think it is often a challenge to open our eyes to our life as it is today and stop and see the beauty in it.

3 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Simple moments can be the most precious. It's fascinating to think about the various people we see and wonder about their story. Years ago I read about the word Sonder which you may also know. I've never forgotten it.

Unknown said...

as we lovingly observe, we also pray. all those people were held in your heart and lifted up!

love anne tyler. thanks for the alert. i shall put in my request at the library. ~ greta

Becki said...

This is a beautiful post, Elizabeth.