Monday, February 28, 2022

NYC checkboxes complete


NYC was good. I got a new box of toast & jam tea, lunch at Tea and Sympathy, restocked my scone mix from Tea and Sympathy, dentist was quite satisfactory, went to a hardware store, walked or took PATH train everywhere. Trader Joe's for their chocolate almonds, and back home with a quick stop along the way. I took a cab in the morning only.  So that felt really good, that I had some good excercise. 

The cab driver was from Africa. He talked about how gentrification is pushing people out. How friends call him saying that they have no money for food. 😥

There is so much pain in the world. 

Yet there is beauty. Sunshine. People helping people.  

We are called not to despair. 

In a week or so I will change DV my tablecloth for Great Lent to my red and white striped one.  Of course it has a new layer now to it this year that I didn't forsee. I got it from my Ukrainian Ottawa Mother for my wedding. 

If you knew the layers of complexity that I can never write about..... Well we all have these things.  It is unavoidable. 

NYC was good but I was surprised at how very glad I was just to be back home. I think it feels like my world has been shaken and so home is an even greater refuge.

I hope to do laundry and such things tomorrow that I could not get to earlier. I am eager to get everything ready not only for Friday's Tea but for Great Lent. 

May God have mercy on us all. 

4 comments:

Becki said...

That is a lovely looking lunch. So many things to contemplate in recent posts I haven't commented on. The older I get, the more I think our most important ministries may lie in what appear to be very little things to us. Touching other's lives and doing it well. I fail at even that too often. But I keep asking for forgiveness, and trying again. We may never know the depths to which even our smallest kindnesses may reach. This is what I imagine as I picture you interacting with the cab driver. The busy people you encountered in your day in NYC. I think it must have been another post where a man shared of his loss and loneliness... These are important interactions. I hope you have a blessed Lenten season, Elizabeth.

Granny Marigold said...

Your red and white striped tablecloth is even more special and precious now.
Good to hear that you had a productive and good day in NYC.

karen said...

I miss NYC trips terribly however, now I live near Pittsburgh and am eager to explore this city and going to museums etc. Today is Lent for me :)

Martha said...

Beautiful focus...thank you for sharing these words.