Tuesday, April 09, 2019

Fresh baked bread for Pascha/Easter is one of the best ways to perfume one's home











 I made kulich today! 
I did not think I had the mahleb spice (I am pretty sure I don't)
but I put in a little bit of candied pineapple as a fruit (did not have golden raisins).
I think this bread I made is going to be a simple kulich / Pascha / Easter bread,
one that would be lovely with a nice preserve/jam like apricot... 
I hope to make more if I am given the time, I hope to give a lot away as gifts... 


My Husband had been home just a few minutes before it started pouring rain!
We were so thankful for the rain holding off until he was inside!


 I was glad that I was able to see the flowering trees before the heavy rain!


We had avocado toast (with sunflower oil as the oil) for dinner and 
Mr Husband liked it!
Recipe from Deb Perelman's Smitten Kitchen and is here
(except that I used a different oil because of lent and my Husband's 
preferences during lent) ... but he liked it, I liked it,
it is a win for us and I am really happy to have another quick
meal to make that we both enjoy!
***
Something I have been really happy about this Lent is that
I have, finally, after 6 years of marriage, been able to make more varied
meals for Lent.  One failure though - bought a can of refried beans - never again.
It was awful.    
But over all, I've been able to make more things
and feel really good about that.
***
This is the first summer in 3 years that we don't have the past
unbloggable worry and I am hoping for a summer without 
that stress and let me tell you, if this will be so, 
it will be great...just to have a bit of breathing room again. 
***
So I had a good conversation with my optometrist today.
He's a really good one and was able to explain a lot to me 
about various things.
I have realized how important it is for me to have doctors who
talk to me intelligently, who can explain things but not
'dumb it down' in a way that belittles my ability to understand
technical terms + medical knowledge. 
I am a Masters level trained and experienced medical / legal / research
librarian and a geek/nerd.  I like to read medical things and I have read
lots about eye health in the last few weeks. 
So I am really happy that I have the upcoming appointment and that
I already am getting a plan for how to move forward.
***
Well, tomorrow Mr Husband works from home,
we have liturgy at night, 
I hope to fry potatoes and mushrooms for our lunch...
with onions and garlic :) 
***
Did I mention yet that I have been doing brisk walks for about 3 weeks now?
Hope this becomes a regular habit for me; it's been really helpful.
I go for at least 30 minutes unless I am in NYC which is
often a bit more complicated but more walking....
***
The comments + emails from you, my blog friends, have been 
really uplifting and encouraging as I go through this
time of figuring out personal vision/eye things.
Thank you.
***
I pray that God helps, heals and gives you what you need
for the challenges you are facing.
I know that life (and lent!) can be a time where
things are unexpectedly thrown your way
and figuring out how to deal with it
can take time and be lonely at times, 
to say the least,
and I pray that God will be your Support, your Comfort, 
your Hope when all could seem dark, lost or scary...
God is with us, He loves us....

5 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I'm glad you got to see the beautiful blossoms before the rain battered them.
I'm especially happy that your conversation with the optometrist was helpful.
Also that your future looks less burdened by unbloggable issues.

Tracy said...

Delicious baking and Great Lent meals... mmm... avocado toast! :) So glad this new doctor has been kind, caring, and listens to you and really talks to you. I hope this will be a good experience and that he may be able to help you. Your walking is wonderful! So good for the body, is walking. This winter I've been walking more too, and doing more exercise along with a yoga practice--it's been so good. So glad, too, that you are looking forward to summer--may they be lighter, and brighter days in so many ways! This weekend we celebrate Palm Sunday, so Easter is near! These weeks of Lent have flown... GOD BLESS you, my friend in these days ahead! :) ((HUGS))

Lilly's Mom said...

Thank you dear Elizabeth for sharing your recipe. I'm so happy to hear that you are getting the answers needed for your eye condition. I hope all continues to go well.

Lisa Richards said...

Glad to hear that your unbloggable worries have been relieved for the time being.
Congrats on your walking! I've gotta start doing that!
I had bagels for my dinner tonight. I'm all about simplicity when I eat. :)
I'm also glad you've found a good doctor for your eyes!
Well, I'm off to babysit. What would we do without the Lord? Glad I don't have to live that way! Blessings!

Martha said...

Your kulich sound so good with dried pineapple instead of raisins... I like that variation!