Tuesday, August 01, 2006

look! i did my first 'tag' entry; on BOOKS.

Okay—I did the book list that Victoria asked me too. Of course I often went beyond writing about just ONE book. :) Thanks for asking me to do this one Victoria... :)

People I would want to hear from and thus Tag are:

churchmouse Cheryl and cathedraldweller M-Z…

and anyone else who wants to do it and reads this blog (be sure to post a comment so I know to go to your blog)

1. One book that changed your life:

the scent of water by Elizabeth Goudge

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:

the Cloister Walk by Kathleen Norris
the circle of quiet by Madeline L’ Engle (and many others by her, including the young unicorns)

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:

the Bible

4. One book that made you laugh:

I keep thinking of a person from my old church who read Jan Karon’s Mitford series and laughed. For myself… I love calvin and hobbes; does this count?! I find the snobbishness in the joy of cooking deliciously funny; I think I have found the brother cadfael’s books to have made me laugh; I find that I laugh more because I feel that I have found a great book, not because of the humour. On the other hand I have a distinct feeling that I am forgetting about a book that made me laugh that I read in the last few months…

5. One book that made you cry:

green dolphin street by Elizabeth Goudge

6. One book that you wish had been written:

When I read the scent of water I wanted to write a book like it. I must admit that I have never thought, oh, I wish I wrote this book. Rather I think, I like how this author communicates; what do I have to communicate and how to do I find the way best to do so, which may include finding out what I best write and how—this could be summarized as searching for my own authorial voice.

7. One book that you wish had never been written:

I have not really thought about this, or in this way. I guess I am pretty much thinking that things in the past cannot be changed, and so I leave it at this. Besides this, I think it is significant to look at how books effect people’s understanding of the world, so I would rather understand lots of the books of the past and present and see what they fit into to see how the have effected the present.

8. One book you’re currently reading:

miss pym disposes by Josephine Tey
In the Heart of Old Canada by William Wood (published in 1913)


9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:

I have been meaning to finish the stone carvers; and This Ever Diverse Pair by owen barfield; books that explore the thought of the past and how it is influncing things now; I have yet to figure out what to read to explore this further. I am supposed to read The Brothers Karamazov but well, I just could not get into it….maybe I will try again sometime. I rather lack the will power and desire to. (which I know must appear heritical on so many levels). I have started reading the picture of dorian grey and found the concept of influence facinating. I have started also reading volume one of TS Eliot’s letters and someday look forward to reading more Virgina Woolfe; a lot of my Bloomsbury-era books are still in Michigan. I also want to read a bit more of May Sarton, esp. her journals, maybe one of her novels (I have not tried them yet) and have so many other books that are still in Michigan… sigh. I think G. Marcel would be a good one to read too; well. So much for that! And eventually I am going to need to read a bit more theology; though I have no idea what…

4 comments:

Kassianni said...

wow. what a list. i think we only share one book in common. me thinks i will look up this 'elizabeth goudge'

elizabeth said...

yeah; i do like her... was part of my journey into orthodoxy; :) she does not fit as much into the current scene of writing...

what was the one book we had in common; i will have to look @ your list again...

:)

mamachurchmouse said...

by G. Marcel, do you mean Gabriel?

elizabeth said...

yes that is who i mean; :)