Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Who actually knows

 


Years ago I had a teacher in school who had a very unusual Dad.  He totally did not see how unusual and very possibly this man is now with the Lord, since I knew this teacher in the first half of the 1990s.  Here is why: this teacher's Dad had a very tender heart and could not watch the news without crying.  Because he felt the hurt of others so deeply.  
So yesterday I ran into a young man, probably in his 20s who was out in the cold asking for money.  In NYC you see this a lot esp. when it's cold and it was cold yesterday. 

You know what this young man, who said his name was Kale, said to me:  He can't read the news without crying immediately.  And that God is truely all he has and that God is everything.  I said I understood: God is our only source of love and hope. 

Pray for such souls that the world passes by when they are out in the cold asking for money so they can have food.  Who actually live dependent on God and cry when they read the news.  Kale said he can only read the news maybe every 2 weeks because it is so painful for him.  

The rest of us, we can bearly touch what Kale knows in actual lived experience.

5 comments:

The Rev. Susan Creighton said...

I have no words. But I will pray for Kale, and the millions world-wide who offer their tears for the Holy One.

Gretchen Joanna said...

I'm glad you stopped and didn't pass by.

Granny Marigold said...

What a tenderhearted young man you met. I'm glad you stopped to talk to him and I feel sure he was blessed by the conversation.

Becki said...

I read this a couple of times. I am glad you stopped, too, and relayed this message to us. Thank you, Elizabeth.

Martha said...

It comforts me to know there are still people like Kale in this world. God preserve him!