Friday, August 18, 2017

how to endure






Well. Another week coming to a close. I looked up how long it can take to heal from the type of break I have; could be 3 more months. Then I read, in the third of the Elizabeth Goudge trilogy, about how Sally, (one of the characters in the novel), when she was exhausted, would just think to herself: "I just have to do the next thing" and nothing more. And that's how she would endure the hard times. So pretty much nightly I have swelling and foot pain. But something that has helped me this week is what helped this character in the EG book: what a priest told me once: just do the thing in front of you that needs doing.

4 comments:

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Sending love, hugs and prayers to you.

I often think that Elizabeth Goudge would have made a good Spiritual Mother in many ways...her books are filled with wisdom.

shoreacres said...

Some of the best advice I ever received was offered by an old man named Varnish John after Hurricane Ike. As he put it, we always do best when we "start where we can start, and do what we can do." He also liked to say, "Do what you can do, not what you can't." It seems to me to apply in your situation, too!

Pom Pom said...

Just rest. You'll get well completely.

Mat. Anna said...

Yes, this is something I can't ever seem to remember!