Saturday, January 24, 2015

Reflections Part II: My Grandma's words ~ Strength will be given just when you need it


So I called my Grandmother yesterday evening,
while monitoring my beloved husband's plane trip online.
He's getting in late, probably between 1:30 - 2 AM.
I am so waiting up for him!
As I wrote in my last post
I think sometimes on the fact that my husband may die before me.
So last night I called my Grandma (I try to call at least once a week!)
and we talked and before we said goodbye,
I thought I should just ask that question I was thinking of, so I did.


I began, and almost immediately began tearing up,
Grandma? 
Yes, she said.
You know how Aunt H. married Uncle J. and he was older 
and now she is alone?
Well, I married [Mr. Husband] and I may have the same thing happen.
Yes, she said, You might.
But Grandpa and I were the same age, I thought due to his health problems
that he may go first but only by a few years but here it was
9 years already since he is gone.  I thought I would follow him in a few years...
And we talked about how you never know when something may happen
and that while it is possible that Mr. Husband will go first, 
we just never know...
And I edged closer to my question, 
yes, but Grandma how did, how do you do it? How do you cope
being alone, without Grandpa?


And she immediately answered,
God gives you the strength when you need it.
I really felt God's peace ~ 
that all was Okay and like it was supposed to be.
Grandma was ready and God took him {a mercy}...
She went on, God gave me peace and things to do 
to keep busy, though I do miss him, it's the way it is 
supposed to be, God had it planned.
I feel like we had the time together that God had for us...
we are not given the strength ahead of time,
but when we need it, then it will be there.


She said sometimes she is lonesome sometimes, 
but I never feel all alone, I feel like God is with me,
God's Presence.
It's why I like to listen to nice music {hymns, Gaithers}...
all of a sudden I will stop what I am doing, put the book down
and just listen, 
and feel that [through the music] God is speaking to me....


She went on to tell me,
Years ago I read a story by Corrie Ten Boom,
that when she [Corrie] was a little girl, 
she would worry and how her Father taught her
by use of example of going on the train, 
and her father told her that just like he does not give 
Corrie the train ticket until the train is there,
so God will be there for you when the time
comes for [that time of particular need]... 
and my Grandma went on to tell me,
just like Corrie's father would not give her the ticket 
for the train before she needed it,
so not a day early will you be given the strength ...
and she quoted the Psalm..
...as [long as your] days so your strength shall be...


And my Grandma went on...
Elizabeth, I don't know the future, when I will die,
if I will need to go in a nursing home or what will be...
but I am not worried because where ever I am,
God will be there with me.
*
I feel God's Presence,
So precious to know that we are never alone, 
and sometimes I have to remind myself, 
if I feel sorry for myself, 
that I am never alone.
Jesus has promised, never will I leave or forsake you.
*
And that is what my Grandma told me
and I am so very glad I asked.

14 comments:

rebekah said...

That was beautiful. Something I needed to hear today. Thanks.

E Helena E said...

These words of your Grandma are a blessing. Thank you for sharing. I also read this account of Corrie ten Boom just last week in her amazing "Tramp for the Lord".

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Your dear Grandmother is a very wise woman.

Cristina said...

Your grandmother is a wise woman, may God keep her healthy many years ! And, oh, my dear friend, you shouldn't worry at all, God gives us strength that we are not aware we are capable of.
Just enjoy your beautiful life you share with your husband and stop worrying! I confess a worry a lot too when my husband is away for work, but then I remember God and His Mother are with us every single moment. Love to you!

Rosemary said...

Thank you for sharing your grandma's wise words!

"God gives you the strength when you need it."

Yes!! I have been in a situation where I must remind myself of this a lot.

elizabeth said...

Thanks everyone! I thank God for my life, my Grandma and my beloved Mr. Husband!

I am so grateful that I was able to have these words from my Grandma and to be able to share them with you all.

God is so good to us.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. I often think of something like this, how I can't get grace for the future. Grace and provision are for right now. When the future becomes now, God will be there, too.

Mimi said...

Beautiful. Thank you.

karen said...

reading this made me miss my gram. I love grandmother's and their wisdom and strength. You are lucky to have her in your life :)

Laura said...

These words were just exactly what I needed to hear on this rainy afternoon in my little corner of the midwest. Thank you for sharing your grandmother's words. -Laura

Nancy said...

I love that story fr Corrie ten Boom. I read The Hiding Place every Lent. What a story of faith and trust in God! We're only a few weeks away, I gotta find the book (I still haven't unpacked all the books after the move)

elizabeth said...

Thanks all!

What a blessed tradition Nancy to read this book during Lent! Corrie T.B is wonderful! Moving and unpacking is such a hard thing, esp. when working too! (((HUGS)))

Nancy said...

Thanks for the hugs. Other than the books (admittedly that's several boxes), pretty much everything else is unpacked. I bought some new curtains to hem, and I'll use the remnants for valances and cafe curtains. I'm also taking my first stab at painting furniture. I'm painting a cabinet that will be a nightstand a lovely turquoise. So far, I'm finding chalk paint fairly easy to work with, no priming needle and it cleans up with soap and water.

Peacocks and Sunflowers said...

Your grandmother's words are so wise and loving - thank you for sharing them. It's hard not to worry sometimes, but as Paul writes to the Philippians (why do these things pop up in my head so easily when reading about another's worry and not when I worry myself! lol) 'Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Be careful [care-ful = anxious] for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.'